In 1999, one of our South African male lacemakers, Louis Booyens and his wife
Rhoda, visited India for a holiday and to search for lace and lacemakers. He
found a shop in Mumbai where handmade lace was sold and bought some lovely
pieces. It was run by a Mrs Mendez, who was 81 at the time, and her son.

No information about the makers was forthcoming. they then travelled to the
far south of India, visiting many places on the way. In Munnar, a hill station
where tea is grown, he found more hand made lace in a home industries shop.
The lacemaker apparently lived further up in the mountains. Eventually, they
arried at Cochin and visited Our Lady's Convent at Palluruthy where embroidery
is taught. Sister Elizabeth Rocky showed them the workroom where about 60
young women were embroidering on organza and at the back of the room were
about 20 lacemakers at their pillows. About 30 years previously, Belgian and
French nuns had introduced bobbin lace to the convent and the Indian nuns had
continued teaching it. I think it was subsidised by the government for the
tourist trade.

As their techniques and equipment were very limited and their prickings had
been used so much that they were in tatters, Louis decided to help as much as
he could. Back in South Africa he started a collection of pins and prickings
and bobbins and money, which we all contributed to and on his next visit to
India, unfortunately only in 2005, he took it all to the convent. Sister
Elizabeth (then 81 years old) told him that the school had been closed down by
the government but there were still lacemakers working from home and she would
distribute the gifts.

Back in Mumbai, Mrs Mendez shop was still there but the lace from the convent
had been ruined en route by the monsoon rains and had to be returned.

Louis and Rhoda have not been back since, but if anyone is planning a trip to
India thee may still be some lacemakers there in the southern tip and Mrs
Mendez shop might be run by her son now.

Good luck in your search

Janis Savage in South Africa

where autumn is approaching.