I was only 19 when I started to learn lacemaking. As many of you probably
know, our traditional Maltese pillow is a long, upright, bolster sort of
pillow (perhaps like a roughly rolled cigar). I used to put this into a
long bag and strap it to my back to ride on my little motorcycle to my
lessons. Whenever I met a friend on the way, they would ask what strange
thing I was carrying and whenever I replied that it was a Bobbin lace
pillow, the retort always was, "But you're too young to work lace!!!"

Nobody says that any more since I am now 54 🙂

Karen in Malta