First, let me thank you all for your concern in connection with my eye
surgery for a cataract and astigmatism on Thursday.  I did not think  you'd see
the footnote in a note I sent about young people who make lace.   I take
medical issues lightly.  Years ago, I had successful Lasik  surgery on both
eyes - one for reading and one for distance.  Now, my  reading
(close-distance) eye needed tweeking.  The most painful part was  paying $1,500
for the
implant to replace my natural lens!  (Could buy a lot  of lace books.)
Cataract covered by insurance, but not the  lens.  I stayed in a hotel near the
eye
hospital, was checked Friday  morning, and drove home.  No pain.  Today's
vision is better than  yesterday's.

Being a Girl Scout, I wanted to take care of blurred vision problems in
preparation for going to the Belgian lace celebration in 2018 - the  100th
anniversary after the end of World War I.  I expect there will  be an
acknowledgement of how lacemakers were saved from starvation  during the war by
the
Commission for Relief in Belgium, headed by Herbert C.  Hoover, who later was
elected President of the U.S.

The address Devon gave yesterday is most inspiring.  I'll be  giving the
Brooklyn group an invitation to contact me if they are  having difficulties
finding lace books and things like that, because I belonged  to their
predecessor - The Lace Guild of New York.  This became my  lace foundation, and
you
have all benefited from my  sharing lecture information from Helene von
Rosenstiel, who was a  Brooklyn lace conservator with a museum clientele.  She
would arrive via  subway at meetings dragging a huge plastic bag full of
distressed  laces.  Then, she would tell us how they came to be that way, and
what  would be necessary to save - or often be unable to save - them.

One young lacemaker Devon is encouraging mentioned enrolling  in an FIT
textile conservation program.  I found there were  museum lectures about
conserving and restoring textiles/embroideries/tapestries,  but not much about
lace.  Perhaps it will be possible to prop up this  student with some
experience and a bibliography, since I have collected books  (both good and
bad) on
the subject.  It can be very frustrating  to a young person when she is
trying to learn something obscure about  lace.  It is what we on Arachne have
been somewhat able to  overcome.  Please share lace knowledge with the young.
The  address from Devon:

http://textileartscenter.com/blog/brooklyn-based-artists-launch-nyc-lace-gui
ld/

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
In a message dated 3/9/2017 10:45:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,