Devon et al, misery loves company--this issue is not exclusive to lace!  Cross
stitch, needlepoint, surface embroidery, beading etc.--just ask any teacher,
designer or publisher.  Plenty of angst.

Regarding instructions, many lace "patterns" don't seem to include them!  This
is different from a "how to" book where the author/teacher specifies the
techniques & order of work.  As an enthusiastic beginner, I have several
pillows with stalled projects.  Some are stuck in the first row!  Others have
been removed & are now tangled in boxes.  As you know, I regularly ask for help
on Arachne & I'm always grateful for help/suggestions, but I do not want to
wear out my welcome!  I keep hoping that if I take classes, make enough lace on
my own & learn something new on each piece, maybe a lightbulb will go off & I
will be able to restart & successfully complete my interrupted projects.  If I
could say anything to designers:  please give a few hints to help your
customers make your lace!  Instructions shouldn't offend the experts among us,
yet make your pattern more accessible to those of us who are not.  From that
standpoint, a design with instructions should be a more valuable c!
 ommodity.  It's in everyone's best interests for designers to be successful
otherwise we won't have new lace to make!  Sincerely,  Susan Hottle USA

Sent from my iPad