Thank you, Susan, for this memo.  What I found interesting is  that the
Italian artist is using paper products.  I very  well remember the snafu at the
OIDFA Caen Congress, when the coach that was to  pick up people housed in
the center of the city "forgot" us.  It was cloudy  and soon we were drenched
by rain, and without umbrellas.   Finally, a coach arrived and we were on
our way (though very late to  arrive).  The coach driver did not bring us to
a door protected from the  rain, but dropped us off about a half a city
block from the "concert  hall" door in a place where we stepped down into an
ankle-high "body of  water".  The 4 ladies from Slovenia, dressed from
head-to-toe in  lace, had to step into that.  Ilska was there, and will
remember.

How horrible for lace shoes!  This Congress was organized by a  man.  And
as a man, it seemed he had no idea what classy  lace-loving women might wear
to a banquet.  The literature  had said to wear our best laces.  We entered
a venue "called a concert  hall" that was more like a gymnasium.  We sat in
folding chairs that had  hinges lethal to laces.

Lace conservation lessons learned?  I surely hope so.  Be  careful what you
spend your money on.  Remember that I've counseled to  carry vulnerable
laces and put them on at your destination.  Do you  remember what I wrote about
parchment lace from the 1600s last month?   Very little has survived,
because it could not be wet cleaned.

Susan mentioned a recent post from Arlene about lace shoes.  It  seems that
memo never got to my inbox, Arlene.  Devon tells me I must  specifically
address her in my postings to Arachne, or she does not receive  them.  We both
use AOL.  So, now AOL does not talk to AOL.  What  a mess the techies have
created.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
In a message dated 3/15/2017 4:00:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,