I also think the way people learn to make lace is an issue. I learned in England and was given a pricking and taught to look at the original lace / photo of lace and see what stitches were worked at each pinhole, and also taught how to start and finish in various ways. Written instructions and working diagrams were not provided.

Since moving to America, I have discovered that generally people here are not taught this way and expect complete working diagrams and detailed instructions for each piece, which facilitates working at home, but tends to make cause dependence on these instructions and does not readily enable one to carry the ideas from one piece of lace forward to another piece of lace.

This then means that it is much harder to share one's own patterns with other people readily, as it is much easier to produce a pricking than a working diagram

Sue

suebabbs...@gmail.com