> I am making a bookmark  from Technique of Bobbinlace. For anyone that has
the
> book it is decoration b on page 46 and I would like to make it in white
with
> the three outlined motifs in blue. I have never used colour before and
would
> like some help from anyone who can tell me how to change from white to blue
> and back again please.

Do you mean “The Technique of Bobbin Lace" by Pamela Nottingham?
In my copy page 46 shows six different sections of a sampler, and b is a
diamond shape of torchon ground with tallies enclosed by a gimp.
Is that what you are asking about?

It’s not usual to change colours in gimps (the outlining threads) and
preferable not to have any joins in them because being much thicker than the
main thread any knots or overlaps will be very visible.

If you are asking about changing the colour of an area of cloth stitch what is
usually done is to change the workers and leave the passive threads as they
are.

There are two ways of doing that; either use knots to change the colours and
get the knots as close to the pin as you can or at the start of the section
you want to be coloured hang in a new worker pair and leave the original
worker pair as an additional passive pair.  When you get to the end of the
coloured section just lay the coloured pair bac over the work and close with a
cloth stitch made with the two should also be on the same pin.  Once the lace
is off the pillow you can weave in the ends of the contrast threads.

Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk