When I run out of thread, I hang the new thread on a pin , either at the back
or side of the work, and then tie the new bobbin to the old one that is
running out (I use a twisty or some sort to hold them together) and then work
a bit further – another inch perhaps, with the double thread.. When I feel
it is well secured, I throw out the empty bobbin, and continue with the new,
full, one.  Later on – much later on! – I trim away the ends .
There may be a slight thickening of the threads in that one place, but they
won't notice in the overall appearance.

Love the quilts, Brian.
Regards from Liz.