Dear Irene,
I had a similar problem with a lace class in Peterborough, England, a few weeks
ago, and also the Belgian/Netherlands bonanza in 2018.  I ordered an end cut of
3/4 inch 7 wool felt from
http://www.thefeltcompany.com/clearance-and-closeouts/  (satisfied customer
only)  I then cut the felt into regular squares, about 6" square, covered them.
 9 squares, about 20" square total.  For the base I used 1/8 inch plywood, a
scrap from the builder's supply, and cut 2 pieces, for a total 19" square.  I
used duct tape to make a hinge.  Put the edges together, put the duct tape on
the crack, and presto, a hinge.  And a board that fits in the suitcase.  The
squares can go anywhere in the suitcase.  On the underside of the board I
drilled 1/16" 4 holes per felt square, and then drilled the hole with s common
cone shaped drill, whose specific name escapes me.  Then I used regular glass
head dressmaker pins, a tad over an inch long, put in at a 45 degree angle from
the bottom into the felt, !
 squishing the felt squares as together as possible, and there we are.  Worked
very well, although the  felt is rather hard, but better than too soft.  For
Belgian laces like Flanders, I like to use the really long thin pins, but for
this class I used the thin pins that are much shorter.  Worked quite well.  Now
all I have to do is finish the Flanders handkerchief edge before summer, 2018,
and I'm good to go.

In my opinion, the problems with ethafoam in a suitcase is that regular
ethafoam is quite thick, and it doesn't fight back well in a really packed
suitcase.

You could always rent a foam pillow from the Convention.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, where it's sunny but unseasonably cool.
High only 60F 14C

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."