Hi Irene,For the past few years I have purchased the 24" square builder foam
that is available from the IOLI convention co-hosts.  I take along a 42"
square of fabric that I use to cover the pad, just pinning it in place for
the week.  At the end of the classes, I use a serrated knife, that I take in
my checked bag, and cut the piece down to 9" wide and as long as I need for
the pricking, as this will fit into my large block pillow at home.  I use the
covering fabric to wrap the foam piece and the attached pricking and bobbins
securely for the journey home in my carryon bag, using elastic hair (alice)
bands to hold it in place.  No problems except that once home with all the
extra fabric folded under the foam, I might have to raise the level a little
for it to be the same height as my block pillow.  It is not too late to order
a foam piece from the registrar.  This foam is thicker than the 1" you are
considering.
I have made an apron for my small travel pillow which does have a fabric
apron. That apron does not give enough support when using the pillow on my
knees. I used a piece of foam board cut to the same shape as the fabric apron,
then I scored it so that it folded.  I covered the board with some plastic
shelf paper to reinforce the folded areas and it is small enough to travel
along with my pillow.
I have had it for years and any divider pins go into that rather than my lap.
Another time I used an ethafoam round pillow that I had already and I cut off
the top section so that it fit into my suitcase.  I took the cut off piece
with me and attached the two pieces back together with wooden skewers. I then
covered it with the original cover which had elastic running around it.  You
would just have to be careful not to put your pricking over the cut edge when
placing it on the pillow.
This year I am taking the Lier class and there is no way I can transport my
large floor standing frame so DH has made a table standing frame from pvc
pipe following directions gratefully received from Jo Ann Eurell.  The only
difference is we made mine from 1/2" pipe rather than the 1" she used.  Now
it fits into my suitcase because the corner fittings are smaller that the 1"
connectors.
Lacemakers are clever at adapting when necessary.
<Another question, has anyone had luck with making an extender for the
pillow.a cover cloth (?) with some body, possibly quilted that the bobbins
can lay on to give more working room?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated,

Irene Whitham>
 Janice JaniceBlair Murrieta, CA, jblace.com