Dear Spiders,

The appearance of extended ASCII characters (the proper term for these
unusual characters) has nothing to do with the age of Arachne's server
at panix.com. Servers and software ARE updated, swapped out for newer
models, and patched. Just because you have been on Arachne for 20+
years does not mean that the hardware and majordomo have not changed!
 :-)

If you want to know more, this Wikipedia article explains it well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ASCII

Here's another:
http://developer.telemessage.com/faq/how-do-i-encode-non-ascii-characters-in-an-email-subject-line

Since this discussion is not lace-related, I suggest that it be moved
either to lace chat or to private emails.

Thank-you,

Avital
Arachne Moderator

P.S. Please try to trim quoted posts. Everyone forgets from time to
time (I forgot when I posted about Burano and lace), but I'm still
here, keeping an eye on the list traffic and sending gentle reminders
when I see lots of >>>> in the digest.