Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 17:18:06 -0400
From: Susan <hottl...@neo.rr.com>
Subject: [lace] Bedfordshire lace

Hello All!  While working on signage for an upcoming lace exhibit at the
library, I ran into a disagreement among lace resources regarding
Bedfordshire.

Hi Susan and Arachnids

Our Bedfordshire lace has its roots in the plaited laces, like those in Le
Pompe, and it has evolved over the years – in fits & starts according to the
fashion at the time. Where names are concerned you have to be very careful. In
the book having the same name written by ,The Bucks. Cottage Workers Agency,
dated 1911 there are illustrations of what we now call Bedfordshire labelled
,Bucks Cluny, and there is another with the label ,... one of Mrs. Armstrong,s
Buckinghamshire lace Berthes ..., that is what we now consider typical Beds
rose and leaf floral. It would appear that, in the past, they named the lace
after the area in which it was made, not by style. As it is rare to find a
piece that can be traced back to its place of origin, perhaps we need to come
to an agreement regarding classification by technique, bearing in mind that
lacemakers did not work rigidly to a set of rules. The same technique may be
found in laces made in different countries, even if only occasionally – and
they will cause trouble.

I am taking acre with characters, using commas instead of apostrophes and
inverted commas.

Blow the dust

Alex