When I first came across Bedfordshire I knew it as  Beds-Maltese and I have
never had a reason to consider it as anything other than  a guipure lace
with its origins in the 19th century. The extensive use of plaits  does give
it a superficial resemblance to the 16th century bobbin laces which  mimicked
early needlelace - cutwork and reticella (which came before punto in  aria)
- however there are considerable differences in working methods.
Over more than a decade of active research into early  bobbin lace I have
yet to determine a satisfactory definition for 16th and early  17th century
lace - it is often called plaited lace, but in reality long plaits  are rare.
It is an open lace with spaces crossed by twisted pairs and short  plaits
often consisting of no more than a lockstitch (ctc tc), there are more solid
areas  consisting of plaits of 3, 4 or more pairs, or of one group of
threads working  through another in cloth-stitch (ctc). Like Bedfordshire it is
continuous lace, but there is no half-stitch and pairs are not added or
taken  out in the course of the work (as  they are in some of the more complex
Beds  patterns).
Relatively few pins are used in working the early lace,  and those that are
used are usually placed below or to the side of a stitch to  provide
tension - this means there is never a pin-hole in the centre of a stitch  - as
there would be for example in the centre of a windmill crossing in
Bedfordshire (or many 19th century reproduction of an early lace). Overall the
working
method is much more like  Freehand lace where pins are used only on  the
outside edges and no pricked pattern is needed - this allows considerable
freedom for the lacemakers. Great fun to do and almost certainly made  in
England in the 16th century.
Gil Dye