As you may have heard, we presented the "Lace in the New World" proposal for
the 2022 OIDFA Congress at the Administrative Council (AC) meeting in Sweden
on Friday, June 30th.  AC members (who do the actual voting) were present
from Australia, Canada, Estonia, Finland, France, Ireland, Japan,
Netherlands, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, the UK and USA.  The vote was taken
on Sunday, and we lost the bid; 11 for and 19 against. And we were the only
bidder, since the Irish competition had withdrawn their bid in May.

I gave the presentation and Lauran Sundin worked the computer.  We were
allowed 15 minute to talk with 5 minutes for questions.  We were given a few
minutes extra because some translation for the French occurred, and we
couldn't talk during that time.  We also showed a video about Santa Fe that
the Tourism Office gave us, and passed out the 2017 Santa Fe tourist
magazine, some maps, pens and leather luggage tags all provided by the
Tourism office. People knew that we would be the only bidder since Ireland
had dropped out, and an email explaining the situation was sent to all AC
members in late May.  Sending our proposal ahead of time so people could
study it and ask questions was not allowed. All that they knew was that the
USA would be bidding. We also could not contact any Administrative Council
member before the presentation, even if they were potential collaborators
for Lace in the New World.  There were a few questions immediately after our
presentation, and people had all of Saturday to talk to us if they wished.
Three people asked for copies of the presentation, but no one asked to sit
with us for an extended conversation. The presentation could not be sent out
by the OIDFA secretary because that would involve writing everyone's email
address on the message, and apparently no one knew about blind copies.  One
person asked me about what I meant by 'American Lace', and I did not have a
good answer.  I should have said that the congress is not about American
Lace - it's about Lace in the Americas, but I didn't think fast enough.
Another person said they were discussing whether OIDFA should really make
international efforts like this.

After the vote on Sunday morning we immediately asked for some feedback from
the Administrative Council. One person said there wasn't enough time to
study the proposal, and one said she couldn't hear me well. One person
mentioned the expense and long travel time to Santa Fe, and the higher
altitude of the city.  My impression is that this was the main problem - no
one made any comment about the proposal itself. Comments received after the
meeting ended tended to focus on the belief that Santa Fe is not
'accessible' from Europe, but I have not received any examples of why this
might be so. Kajsa Borg, the OIDFA president, said that this might have gone
over better if it had been made 10 years earlier when people were younger. I
did try to emphasize that there would be live streaming of some events, and
that we would contact immigrant groups in the USA to see if they could help
with travel. But this was not enough. The fact that this event would be
important to the countries of the New World was apparently overshadowed by
travel issues. And we were also at a disadvantage because only two countries
in the Americas have voting AC members.  Was there a bias because of Mr.
Trump?  Possibly, but nobody talked about it.  I think that was probably a
very minor effect.

We were told that we could try again in 2018.  But I think there is a very
fundamental problem here.  Our proposal is about helping lace in the
Americas and about bringing awareness of the art to the USA and other "New
World" countries in a manner that  has not been done before.   I hope we
communicated that in the proposal, and I don't see anything that we need to
change (three of the Executive Committee members told us that it was the
best proposal they had ever received).  But if the real concern is the
stress of travel - I don't know how to fix that.

Speaking for myself, I am not inclined to make another bid with OIDFA.  I
think it would be better to concentrate on efforts in our own hemisphere, so
we are looking for other opportunities to hold this event, still in Santa
Fe. The organizers are taking a rest and regrouping.  Our collaborators in
Santa Fe are still supportive, and this is just too good an idea to drop.
We just need find a new approach.  I will tell you that I have just resigned
as an OIDFA Administrative Council member, since my whole reason for doing
that job no longer exists. And I need to get back to LaceNews, which has
been sorely neglected during the past 6 months while preparing for this
presentation.

If you want to see the proposal that we presented, it is on dropbox at
https://www.dropbox.com/home/OIDFA%20Presentation

Laurie

Laurie Waters

505-412-2873