This year my husband tagged along with me to the IOLI convention in order to
spend a couple of days before the convention in Boston visiting our daughter. I
warned him I would be busy with activities throughout the week so he needed to
make plans to keep himself amused. He visited Valley Forge park twice, a train
museum and Winterthur Museum on Friday.  I carved out time Tuesday to go to
dinner with him and 3 ladies came along too. (The benefit of having a car!) I
also was able to take Wednesday off from the convention and we saw some sights
in downtown Philly including the Liberty Bell, Indpendance Hall, the Mint and
Ben Franklin wandering the street near his gravesite.
This year convention was extra busy for me as it was my first time as the IOLI
Supply chair and responsible for making sure our IOLI table in the vending room
was staffed and had the money pouch.  Molly Heller, the Membership Chair, and I
have some ideas about improving things for next year. Alas, I only passed by
the exhibit room twice and never made it inside to see the beautiful items.
Luckily the contest items were on display at the banquet. This Saturday I will
have a leisurely look at the People's Choice winning piece as it was done by
our guild's own Sally Olsen.
This year my morning class was Milanese with Louise Colgan and thoroughly
enjoyed working on an adorable hedgehog design. I hope to finish it up yet this
week. My afternoons were spent reacquainting myself with Chantilly in Ulrike
Voehlker's class.  Since I will likely be flying to San Antonio next year I
will stick with one technique for the week and not two! But which?
It was nice to once again have delightful table favors at each meal! I need to
dig through my bag to see what all we got! Sunday we received handmade lace
earring which I wore to the Monday dinner.  I believe the "pearls" were in our
nice blue registration totes, both gifts from the host group.  At the banquet
we each received a beautiful wooden pin box. It took some of us a little more
time than others to figure out how to open it! lol
My thanks to the Media gals who provided daily photo updates on the Facebook
page.  And thanks to fellow Arachnids for their reports here! Thanks also go to
Arlene for organizing our lunch! What a great turnout! All in all it was a
great convention and I am already looking forward to next year! (My husband has
already declared he is staying home. lol)
Anita Hansen
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Doris Southard Lace Guild