Hi Susan

I’m fairly sure I’ve got that book somewhere but it’s not on the shelf I
expected to find it!

The logarithmic lace which I did a while ago was a combination of theory and
winging it when it came to choosing the thread.  Theory wise go for the
mid-range, but err towards thicker rather than finer; go for the thickest that
can be squeezed into the closest parts without it wrinkling or
‘twippering’.  That’s a term I learned from the late Sue Willoughby who
had learned from an elderly aunt who in turn had learned towards the end of
the 19th century.  It’s what happens in Bedfordshire trails when the thread
is too thick.

Also consider that loosely spun threads such as machine embroidery, perle and
a lot of spun silk will squash down better than tightly spun thread, and they
will also relax and spread out in the places where the pins are furthest
apart.  Those threads though will make a soft lace.  Depending on the pattern,
you might be able to introduce extra twists or a heavier ground in the most
open areas.

If the difference in scale is very noticeable it might be better to plan for
the piece to be mounted in a frame rather than free standing.

HTH
Brenda

> Hello All!  Embarking on yet another lace adventure, I realized I needed to
ask a thread question before diving in.  Has anyone worked the Jane Atkinson
edging on pg 3 of Lace Guild's "Logarithmic Lace" book?  I'm curious how one
selects a thread size for something like this because of the changing
distances between pins.  Should I stick with Brenda's method for Selecting
Correct Thread Size (in Threads for Lace)?  Or wing it?  I'd like to work a
small piece to include in the "contemporary lace" portion of our next lace
exhibit.  Many thanks for any advice.  Sincerely,

Brenda in Allhallows

paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk