Daniel Naber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've written an overview of how we could use readable POS tags in LT:
>
> http://wiki.languagetool.org/readable-part-of-speech-tags
>
> The core part however - how do these new POS tags actually look like -
> is still missing. Any input on the overview and ideas about that core
> part is welcome.
>
> Regards
>   Daniel

I'm not convinced it will simplify things. In fact I suspect it would
make rules more obscure, more verbose and possibly lose
power compared to using regexp.  Power users know regexp
well as they are used in many programs so they don't have to
learn something new. Power users also like the conciseness
of regexp.

Anybody who wants to seriously contributes to LT needs to
understand regexp anyway (not just for POS tags). And
knowing regexp is useful for plenty of other programs.

A good documentation of POS tags for each language should
suffice in my opinion.

POS tags are also very different in each language and for
good reasons as grammar of the languages can be quite different.

In any case, we need to preserve rule backward compatibility.
I cannot imagine having to change manually all rules in
all languages, at least not manually. I would be a lot of
error prone work.

On the other hand, rule matching may be faster without regexp.

Regards
Dominique