Hi,

yesterday I tried to update the English dictionary that LT includes. The
details are documented at
https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool/issues/329 but in a
nutshell: our spell checking is so complicated that the dictionary
update didn't work.

We could really need a process that allows us to use hunspell
dictionaries directly, without conversion to other formats. The original
reason we don't use hunspell (or only parts of it) is that it's slow,
especially when it comes to generating suggestions. Today I ran a test
with hunspell 1.4.1 and LT, and it turns out LT is about 4-5 times
faster.

What could be a solution:

A) Improve hunspell to be faster. We'd need someone who can do this and
then we'd still rely on native code, which isn't what we want in Java
(but we've lived with it for years now).

B) Finally write a Java-based spell checker that can read hunspell
dictionaries. The internet is full of spell checkers, but we need one
with support for advanced features like compound words (important for
German).

C) I don't know, do you have an idea?

If we cannot find a solution, the current situation will persist so that
some dictionaries probably won't be updated.

Regards
  Daniel

This is the text for testing, full of typos (supposed to be German):
Fgen Siex hxier Ixhren Txext eiwen. Klcken ie nch dr Prüung aug diw
fatbig
unteelegten Textstellwn. oder notzen Sie desen Teyt alls Beeispiel füür
eein
Paat Fwhler , diw LanguageTool erkwnnen ksnn: Ih wirde Ankst und banke.