I downloaded and installed the components fine. However, when trying to load the demo project, the IDE hangs and eats up 50% CPU. End Task'ing the lazarus process in Windows is necessary at that point.

Is this only linux/gtk?  Or is Win32 supported?
Hi Lee,
It's definitely meant to be a multiplatform suite.
You seem to have discovered a win32 specific bug. Since I only use native components that means that it must be something the w32 widget set does different. Logically - only visual components could have issues with widget set implementations. That limits it to TDoubleBuffer. The only part of TDoubleBuffer that is active during design is the paint method - so it seems win32 isn't handling that right.

Please try the following for me (I have no access to a windows machine for a while)
Fine the lines in doublebuffer.pas that read:

if csDesigning in ComponentState then
Self.Canvas.CopyRect(rect(0,0,width,height),FBackground.BitMap.Canvas,rect(0,0,width,height));

And comment them out.
This will have no impact on running programs, it will just prevent the background from being visible at designtime - but it may solve your problem. Please let me know if it does, so I can update the code on my side (I would use an IFDEF I imagine).
Win32 experts: If this works, how SHOULD I do it instead ?

Ciao
A.J.

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's law "Any technology that is distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" -Gehm's corollary "Any technologist that is distinguishable from a magician is insufficiently advanced" - My corollary
The worlds worst webcomic: http://silentcoder.co.za/scartoonz

begin:vcard
fn:AJ Venter
n:Venter;AJ
org:Global Pact Trading Pty. Ltd.;OutKast Solutions
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Director of Product Development
tel;work:+27 21 554 5059
tel;fax:+27 11 252 9197