Lee Jenkins ha scritto:
ik wrote:
Hi,

If you can, try to install debian instead (Sorry, I just don't like RH
distro's thy sucks imho) ;)

You should know that with yum you must first clean the repository
cache, and then read it again (as I said, they sucks). The best way is
to add a new repository with your rpm's made for centos 4.4, and last,
try to upgrade to centos 5.5 final.

Ido

Hi Ido,

Thanks for the tip. Other distros scare me ;) I may try ubuntu as people seem to feel that one is pretty easy to setup an administer. I'm pretty confident that any shortcomings of CentOS are overshadowed by my inexperience with linux in general anyway ;)

My rule of thumb with Linux distros.

More or less all of them try to make your life easy if you don't have enough GB on your HD, so they propose a subset of packages for "normal", "workstation" or whatever, which provides you with a minimal set for with what you need to surf the web, to write your documents, etc. But if you need to make some kind of development (even just install a source package) you end up missing a lot of -devel packages, which have different names for each distro, and you have a hell of a time sorting out what you need.

My solution has always been: install "everything".

If you don't have disk space constraints it's the easiest way out. You lose some disk space, but save a lot of time, and have always at hand what you need.

rpm or deb based doesn't make a big difference: with deb you have apt-get as default, but you may install it also in non deb distros, rpm distro's use yum which gives pretty much the same functionalities.

Just my 2 cents.

Giuliano

--
Giuliano Colla

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong (O. Wilde)