Bill, thanks for the comments but can you translate into simple stupid for
me.
I would like to get the data off Ancestry as simply as possible for me. I am
a two-finger typist, struggling with sourcing, clipboards etc. It literally
can take me a day to enter a handful of Marriage registrations. I thought I
could safely upload my tree into Ancestry, with a few clicks save this data
on my tree and then export back into Legacy. Is this possible or is it too
risky to bother with? I have a hard time understanding what you have written
below

>>you would have to use FTM (is FTM Ancestry software?) to merge the data
and images, but keep Legacy updated at the same time by copying over the
data manually and linking the images manually as well (then why would I
bother using FTM if I am copying manually?)
>> do all your data keeping in the software (I assume you mean Legacy) and
upload not the other way around (how and what do I upload to Legacy- each
individual source such as an individual's marriage reg?).  You never know
what trick the company is going to pull so that your online data is no
longer downloadable.  At least if you keep it local you have some control
over it.  You can always download the images and copy/paste the text right
into Legacy (now I'm lost - upload/download, copy/paste right into
Legacy/manually??)

Mary