To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: 09 November 2009 18:02
Subject: [LegacyUG] entering royal titles

I'm having a problem searching for IGI names. I haven't been able to find any guidance on how to enter royal titles into genealogy programs. Typically royals don't have formal surnames prior to the early 1900's so where exactly do you put their title? Do you put the entire title as their surname, i.e, Duke of Windsor? Do you break it up - Prefix: Duke Suffix: of Windsor. I've noticed that if I use the IGI search, I get a lot of zero results. But if I go to the family search site I get results for the same person. Example, I have Ferdinand Karl Archduke of Austria in my database, entered as First Name: Ferdinand Karl , Surname:Archduke of Austria. IGI search in Legacy returns zero hits. If I go to the website and enter First Name: Ferdinand Karl Archduke of Surname:Austria I get 3 results. However, not all records are like that.

I'm confused....What is the actual standard for this?
Thanks a bunch
NConway