I use a different approach entirely because I like how it looks in the reports that I do for my clients and for myself.

I use 10 underlines in a row for a name. In using this to send reports to family members, I find they fill in the blanks easier and faster than seeing 'Unknown" in the wording.
for example

last name unknown - Sarah __________ first name unknown - __________ Smith
both names unknown - __________ __________

Jennifer Dorner wrote:
I cannot find on the Legacy site how they recommend dealing with
individuals whose surnames are unknown. In a previous program, I would
put two slashes (//) in the surname field, but when I do this in
Legacy it warns me about adding symbols. What is advised: leave the
field blank, use "unknown"? Any suggestions?

Jennifer