Laura,

You make a very valid point for the purposes of your reports, which in this case are designed to elicit a response from the recipients. It also illustrates that the treatment of unknowns depends on the personal choice and end use, as I would not wish for underscores except for the purpose which you describe.

New Tutorial: Embed Blogger RSS feed into your Website
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England

Laura Johnson wrote:
I use a different approach entirely because I like how it looks in the
reports that I do for my clients and for myself.

I use 10 underlines in a row for a name.  In using this to send
reports to family members, I find they fill in the blanks easier and
faster than seeing 'Unknown" in the wording.
for example

last name unknown - Sarah __________
first name unknown - __________ Smith
both names unknown - __________ __________

Jennifer Dorner wrote:
I cannot find on the Legacy site how they recommend dealing with
individuals whose surnames are unknown. In a previous program, I
would put two slashes (//) in the surname field, but when I do this
in Legacy it warns me about adding symbols. What is advised: leave
the field blank, use "unknown"? Any suggestions?

Jennifer