On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Terry Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I don't advise anyone to try and get anti-aliased fonts working in
>  Linux (Ubuntu) by compiling python against Tk8.5, there's too much risk
>  of messing things up.  But I think I have it working now, so if you
>  really want to...
>
>  Note: I upgraded to 8.04 because my attempts to get this working on
>  7.10 had messed that install up so badly I decided to abandon it.
>
>  Install 8.04, and then, before you do anything else much:
>
>  - install (using synaptic) Tk8.5 and its dev package
>
>  - download Python 2.5.2 tar ball configure it like this:
>
>   ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-unicode=ucs4
>   make
>   make install
>
>  The ucs4 bit is, I think, the magic bullet.  By default the tar ball
>  uses ucs2, but ubuntu uses ucs4, so all ubuntu's packages break, at
>  least those with compile C code (.so) components.  ucs2/ucs4 are
>  pythons approach to utf8/utf16 encodings.
>

>  Packages which ubuntu thinks depend on tk8.4, like PIL, ImageTk, tkcvs
>  etc., you will need to build from source, but others should work ok.
>
>  Or just wait for python 2.6/3.0 :-)
>
>  Cheers -Terry

Just a data point - I did this on Ubuntu 8.04, python 2.6a3, and trunk
leo, and leo works & has antialiased fonts (albeit with too large size
by default). It's probably safer to build python 2.6 than 2.5, which
may have a slight chance of messing with system python 2.5. Obviously,
you should delete the link from python -> python2.6, and invoke leo
manually with python 2.6 for extra safety.

And, you should probably install it under normal /usr/local prefix
rathen than /usr.

I.e. don't do this: