Ryan Gallagher writes:

> > On 10/11/2012 18:26 PM, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
> > I sincerely apologize if my post is jumping the gun a bit, but aside
> > from reassurances in private press conferences, Silent Circle hasn't
> > made any statement that supports their releasing their code as open
> > source. In fact, they have been very ambiguous on this issue prior to
> > their alleged private statements yesterday and today.
>
> Hmm. It says on the SC website that it will use "Open Source Peer-Reviewed
> Encryption," "Peer Reviewed Encryption and Hashing Algorithms," and also says
> "we believe in open source." Is that very ambiguous?

I think Google, or even Apple (!), could truthfully make the same
statements, but that doesn't mean that they've committed not to
develop proprietary software.  (In fact, a number of quite
significant open source contributions come from proprietary software
vendors.)

--
Seth Schoen  <sch...@eff.org>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/