From: "Carmen Leeming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 4:50 PM
Subject: Adaptive Public License

: The way the Adaptive Public License is set up, only the Initial
: Contributor sets the terms outlined in Exhibit A (all the adaptive
: elements).  Subsequent Contributors may not alter the variables outlined
: by the Initial Contributor.  However, Subsequent Contributors are not
: bound by those terms if they package their work as an Independent
: Module.  An Independent Module may be released under a different license
: (including a variation of the Adaptive Public License with a different
: Exhibit A).
:
: In regards to combining different variants of the Adaptive Public
: License, yes the combined licenses can be severable.  One of the
: licenses needs to be continued as the Initial Work -- subsequent
: contributions would follow this license (unless they are Independent
: Modules).  The other work(s) being combined can be identified as
: Independent Module(s), retaining their original variants of the
: license.  In a similar manner, an Initial Work with the Adaptive Public
: License can be combined with other open source (or closed source)
: licenses without absorbing contributions to the separately-licensed
: Independent Modules.
:
: I know that this license is very long, but it is difficult to summarize
: parts of it without losing the overall integrity of the document as
: various parts are interrelated.  The third paragraph in my submission
: letter
:
(http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:6913:200305:bogcdnbbhnfbgpdea
hob)
: is the briefest way I can summarize the differences between the Adaptive
: Public License and the MPL 1.1.  Although that is the closest license to
: this one, the Adaptive Public License was not directly derived from the
: MPL -- it is not simply a matter of a few differing paragraphs.
:
: There is no existing license that contains all of the features that we
: require for our project:  able to have the governing jurisdiction in
: Canada; able to have the main work as open source, but well-defined
: separate modules as closed source or under a different open source
: license; not being forced to have a patent license; able to define our
: own set of documentation requirements; allowing limited attribution
: requirements for the Initial Contributor.  This license was not
: developed for the sake of adding to the proliferation of licenses.  The
: University of Victoria has spent close to four years developing a large
: software package that it would like to be able to share with the open
: source community.  The University was not willing to release the
: software under one of the existing licenses as none of them could
: provide all of the features listed above.  We spent a year working with
: a license lawyer developing the Adaptive Public License to meet the
: requirements of the University.  We purposely did not brand the license
: with our name or our project title so the license could be useful to
: others.  We have had others inquire about using our license for their
: software products, and there was a comment on this forum in March that
: indicated support for use too, so we know that this is not a one-time
: application of the license.
:
: Please let me know if you have any further questions.
:
: Thank you,
: --Carmen Leeming
: University of Victoria