On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 at 14:25 Thomas Morley <thomasmorle...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Hi Chris,
> >>
> >> sorry not been clear enough.
> >> Many thanks for your testings though.
> >>
> >> I've now created the attached test-file (and the pdf I get [*])
> >>
> >> Please uncomment the test-scores one by one.
> >>
> >> I'd expect test 1 and test 1a to work
> >> Not sure with test 2 and test 2a
> >> test 3 and test 3 will likely fail with assertion.
> >>
> >> How does it work for you?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>   Harm
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I ran these tests individually and together. All succeed and none throw
> the
> > assertion failure!
> >
> > I've attached the PDF.
>

> Hi Chris,
>
> I'm somewhat surprised it's all working for you. (Your pdf only shows test
> 1/1a)
> myAutoBreaksOn/Off is not that different from the content of your Defs1.ily
> Are you sure all works?
>
> Anyway, myAutoBreaksOn/Off omits every overrideProperty, with the
> consequence the relevant command takes effect one step later than most
> would expect!
> (In test 3 and 4 it's always R1/femataMarkup on next line not the simple
> R1)
>
> So, in the the current situation overrideProperty will cause an
> assertion failure on windows while used in autoBreaksOn/Off. Likely
> the underlaying problem persists for a long time...
>
> A proper fix would involve some (probably very deep) C++-work, far
> beyond my depth.
>
> Would it be reasonable to reduce the intended use-cases by deleting
> those \overrideProperty settings from all auto-break-settings and
> document the behaviour of the remaining usability?
>
> At least we did something similiar with associatedVoice.
> From NR
> "Note: The set associatedVoice command must be placed one syllable
> before the one at which the switch to the new voice is to occur. In
> other words, changing the associated Voice happens one syllable later
> than expected. This is for technical reasons, and it is not a bug."
>
> Opinions?
>
> Cheers,
>   Harm

Well, it's odd. I'm not sure this is anything to do with /overrideProperty.

Referring back to my original tests, I can change your definitions to the
following, and it will crash on each of your test cases:

Uncomment the \override line-break-permission and it renders OK.

Chris

myAutoBreaksOn = {
  %\override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-permission = #'allow
  \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = #'allow
}

myAutoBreaksOff = {
  %\override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-permission = ##f
  \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f
}