David Kastrup:
> k...@aspodata.se writes:
> > David Kastrup:
> "taking care of PostScript" is not related to converting LilyPond's
> graphics internals to Cairo since LilyPond's graphics internals are not
> written in PostScript.

Ok, forget it then, you are not listening.

> When processing in general will get moved to Cairo,

You make it sound like it is already decided.

> > PostScript is a programming language suited for printing and other
> > things. Why youldn't I like to have that readable and understandable
> > like any other code ?
>
> Because it is employed as an intermediate format not intended for human
> consumption and manipulation?  It's similar to the role of LilyPond in a
> Denemo workflow.  It's nice for debugging when it's somewhat readable,
> but the files created in it are ephemeral.

Fine, I also want them to be easy to debug.
PS is not ephemeral for me.

> You are not supposed to get started at writing PDF.  Instead the PDF
> gets written by programs.  You are fine with letting your PDF be written
> by Ghostscript rather than LilyPond and not looking at it.  What is the
> difference with PostScript in your workflow that makes it different?

You don't listen, I use the PS as is, not doing any conversion to pdf
unless someone else wants them.

And my interest was in reading pdf's, so I can write programs to extract
the info I want from pdf's. I took up the subject to show that the goal
of computer-readability and processability is not reached.

> > I have tried to find some free lib to use to read pdf's, if you know
> > of one please tell me, preferable for perl.
>
> libpoppler?

Yes, but it is barely documented, makes it hard to use.

> > Currently I'm using "pdftohtml --xml", but there is a few things
> > missing with that solution.
> >
> > I know about poppler, citing:
> >   https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/poppler/
> > //
> >  Documentation
> >
> >  There is currently very little documentation.
> > //
> >
> > Soo, the computer-readability is a nice goal, but not so much
> > attained.
>
> Well, there isn't a free lib for reading PostScript, is there?

I do have an editor.

> I mean, how much is ps2pdf documented?

Ok, you don't know then, so much for computer-readability and
processability.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data