>> "taking care of PostScript" is not related to converting LilyPond's
>> graphics internals to Cairo since LilyPond's graphics internals are
>> not written in PostScript.
>
> Ok, forget it then, you are not listening.  [...]

Why such a hostile tone, Karl?  There is no reason for this.

I have to agree with David: While having well readable PS is nice,
this is just a by-product of the conversion process from a .ly to a
.pdf file.  Essentially, the formatting of the PS stuff is of *no
importance* to a vast majority of users.

> I use the PS as is, [...]

So tell us what you are doing with the PS stuff.

> And my interest was in reading pdf's, so I can write programs to
> extract the info I want from pdf's.

Have you tried `pdftk' to uncompress a PDF file?  It's then almost as
readable as a plain PS file (see attachments).

    Werner