Paul <p...@paulwmorris.com> writes:

> I can't speak to the technical questions, but I see the appeal of this
> idea.  Cairo looks like a mature, well-supported, and widely-used
> library.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_%28graphics%29
>
> Interestingly, "Cairo uses hardware acceleration
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_acceleration>^[3]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_%28graphics%29#cite_note-3> when
> available."

Well, to be fair this just concerns display backends.  So it might be
interesting for Denemo and Frescobaldi interfacing but will not
otherwise affect output.  I think it would be quite interesting for
creating "live" output "rolls" for editing.

> I see that it can produce Postscript as well as PDF, among its various
> backends.  "The vector graphics application Inkscape
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkscape> uses the Cairo library for
> its outline mode display, as well as for PDF
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format> and
> PostScript <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript> export..."

Yes.  That is what suggests eventual retirement of the existing backends
to be an option that could end up reducing the amount of ongoing
developer effort for keeping the backends in uniformly coherent shape.

Cairo doesn't do stuff like skylines and page layout, so finding good
ways for fudging stuff together will still be necessary.

--
David Kastrup