On 06/26/2017 02:36 PM, David Kastrup wrote:

Interestingly, "Cairo uses hardware acceleration when available."
Well, to be fair this just concerns display backends.  So it might be
interesting for Denemo and Frescobaldi interfacing but will not
otherwise affect output.  I think it would be quite interesting for
creating "live" output "rolls" for editing.

Ah, good to know. That would indeed be cool if it could be used by front-ends like that.

Yes.  That is what suggests eventual retirement of the existing backends
to be an option that could end up reducing the amount of ongoing
developer effort for keeping the backends in uniformly coherent shape.

Cairo doesn't do stuff like skylines and page layout, so finding good
ways for fudging stuff together will still be necessary.

I assume users would still be able to make their own stencils (or equivalent cairo data structures), via the guile-cairo wrapper or otherwise. Also it would be good to still be able to include ids or other metadata in svg output. Just to put those things on the radar.

-Paul