On 08.07.2017 15:49, Richard Shann wrote:
I was intrigued by this, as I have a patch to the figured bass formatter
that has been hanging around because the route to making contributions
that I knew about involved a virtual machine which I can't get working
on my current system.

The method Urs named is possible with openLilyLib, but not with the LilyPond source. That means you would have to get a VM to work, or install a Unix system in parallel – both a lot of effort for one small patch obviously. Or you just e-mail your patch to the devel list and ask for someone to shepherd it through the review process and into the code base for you, which is done
from time to time.

Best, Simon