Hi,

> Dear fellow users,
>
> Can someone advise me on how a repeat-sign behaves in the middle of a measure?
>
> Reducing my score to a small example, here are two lines:
>
>      cis8\mark | cis'4 b8 a4 b8 | gis4 e8 fis4 \bar "" \break
>      \repeat volta 2 { gis8 | cis4. fis,4. | fis8 e b cis4 }  \break

Well, this is not compilable!

> I'd like the first system to break within a measure, and end with no barline.
>
> The volta in the second system starts with a partial measure, and of course
> I'd like a repeat-sign there, but it's not appearing.

Actually you coded two different bar-lines at the same time.
The one done by \repeat and \bar "". Both have different settings how
to behave at line-break.
Only one can survive. Winning is \bar ""

> If I add the repeat sign expressly, it does appear in the output:
>
>      cis8\mark | cis'4 b8 a4 b8 | gis4 e8 fis4 \bar "" \break
>      \bar ".|:"
>      \repeat volta 2 { gis8 | cis4. fis,4. | fis8 e b cis4 }
>
> but an unwanted barline is added to the end of line 1.

Here you coded _three bar-lines_: \repeat ..., \bar "" and \bar ".|:"
at the same time.
Only one can survive. Winning is \bar ".|:"

You need to insert a bar-line-type which sets "" at line end and the
usual repeat-start at line-begin, i.e. ".|:"
Such a bar-line-type does not exist yet.

But search the NR for:
(1)
".|:-||" to see a barline-type which sets "||" at line-end (defined in
bar-line.scm) and ".|:" at line-start. (Not far away from what you
want...)
(2)
\defineBarline for the method how to define custom-bar.lines

Now, use this to define your own bar-line, take the definition in
bar-line.scm as an example.

Ask back if you need further assistance.

Cheers,
  Harm