Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlo...@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, that's why I wanted to experiment with boycutting the .ly->scheme-ast
> transformation step. I'm a much better lisper than c, so it's bit unclear
> to me what's going on (i've done parsers tough in the past). Are these
> public functions here maybe what I'm after
> https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond/blob/master/lily/include/lily-guile.hh#L52-L53
> because, only by (maybe false) assumption, the lilypond lexer and parser's
> job is to create the scheme ast in the pipeline that gets sent to another
> compilation step which job is to create raw typesetted output?

I repeat:

>> LilyPond is an interpreter, not a compiler, so it doesn't work with
>> parse trees.  See lily/parser.yy for its parser (and associated actions)
>> and lily/lexer.ll for its lexer.

There is no "scheme ast".  LilyPond executes its actions as soon as it
recognizes a production.  Those actions ultimately assemble "book"
expressions which are then processed with functions/hooks like
toplevel-book-handler .

The basic control flow outside of the parser is done in ly/init.ly .

--
David Kastrup