Looking back at the original post, I see he's using LOADPARM 009. Should
it be LOADPARM 0009 like in my example?

From:   Karl Kingston <karlkings...@ongov.net>
To:     LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Date:   02/15/2017 02:38 PM
Subject:        Re: IPL using LOADPARM bypasses SALIPL screen
Sent by:        Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

IPL cuu LOADPARM 0009 get me an SAPL screen (this is with z/VM 6.3)

From:   William Norton <wnor...@us.ibm.com>
To:     LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Date:   02/15/2017 02:25 PM
Sent by:        Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

What does QUERY VIRTUAL CONSOLE return ?  My guess is that your console
isn't really at 9 so SAPL doesn't appear, but is at an address specified
in your system configuration file so you get the prompts.

Bill Norton