A quick google shows similar reported (on ubuntu but just grasping here)
 -- had to do with fuse mounted filesystems and gvfs (and perhaps lightdm)

What kind of filesystems do you have available ​and could one of them be
the reason things behave differently.. ?   Is there  a filesystem here that
isn't present on your other servers..  ?

Why the -h option would matter I'm really not sure - to me that's just an
adjustment of how sizes are shown.. so you'd think you'd get the error
regardless..   Like I said - grasping..

Scott Rohling