On Wednesday, 04/19/2017 at 08:27 GMT, Victor Echavarry Diaz
<vechava...@evertecinc.com> wrote:
> We are having issues with Linux guests that show high cpu steal when the
IFL's is not at full
> capacity.
>
> Why this happening is system has IFL? How z/VM works with that? Some of
the guest with high steal
> are Top Users. A guest under cluster do fencing

I assert that users who consume a lot of CPU are more likely to notice
that CPU time and wall clock time do not match.  All virtualization
platforms with shared CPU resources will have this issue.  We're just
better at measuring it.  :-)

I tell my clients:
a) Stop running top.  It wastes resources.
b) If the application is running well, don't worry about it.
c) Steal time doesn't tell you *why* the guest (or LPAR!) is not being
dispatched, so you need to use z/VM performance data to find out why.
d) If steal is steadily increasing, you might be adding workload faster
than you are adding CPUs, or your LPAR weights are out of whack.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323