On 06/09/2017 01:49 PM, David Boyes wrote:
> Let’s try that again. Plain text version.

The problem is digest mode.
It was created in a time and space when email was all plain text.
Every time I have tried using digest mode or the logs, I have run into
the exact same problem with mixed Content-Type. The
digest/log/collection is delivered as one thing. The original messages
were delivered singly. (For individual logs, LSV doesn't know what it
can reliably throw at your browser.)

As I write, this note is set to go out as both plain text and as HTML.
Ignoring flames pro/con about HTML, it preserves highlighting.

What Alan said, though I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if upgrading LSV at
Marist would fix this problem.

So ... is there a setting? Maybe. But the list already rejects
attachments. How Nazi do we gotta get?

>     Is there some setting that we can recommend to posters to prevent this
> and make digest mode useful again?
>     It’s very difficult to follow a conversation when half of it is obscured.

The wording sounds like you want Tore (and others) to change delivery
format so that digest mode works. (I KNOW that's not what you meant, and
you CLEARLY indicated you're NOT picking on Tore.) Better to ask what
can be done to/about/with digest mode so that it will accommodate the
realities of email. Trying to enforce the format of submissions to the
list is difficult, perhaps intractable: what about next week's newcomer?

MIME is 20+ years old, vendor/platform agnostic, and doesn't even
require key exchange or cert auth. (Don't get me started about crypto.)

There are many ways email can be packaged or bundled for bulk
consumption or at-your-leisure reading. LISTSERV digest mode is only
one. It's the round hole with lotso square, pentagon, triangular, and
hex pegs wanting to jamb-in. Maybe digest mode could deliver the lot as
a tarball?

RvdH shared years ago how he liked the threading view of a certain new
web-based email service from Google. Since then, I've heard others say
exactly the same. Eventually, I got suckered in too, and my domain is
now outsourced to Menlo Park. (Pagey and the Brin take over the world.)
For the time being, GMail talks IMAPS, so I can use TBird or Evolution
or Pine/Mutt ... or the web.
Works.
That's just one.

Oh how I miss MAILBOOK. I had some great REXX macros for handling MIME.
Almost tempted to write a REXX-ish mail user agent because I get so
[expletive deleted] tired of the crap in my inbox. (There ... feel less
alone, Dave. You're not the only one.)

Conclusion:
Find a means to solve the problem. Digest mode got you kinda there for a
long time. But don't ask for "digest mode" specifically when what you
actually need is a way to read list traffic in bulk/digest/threaded
form. (Just like you don't ask IBM for a specific implementation;
instead describe the requirement.) SNA could outsource to Larry and
Sergey. There are other solutions, and I don't trust Google either.
(Even though I caved.) Let us know what you find. Some of us will gladly
help you with the search. You are not alone.

-- R; <><