I am proposing the certificate(s) only. All other items are catered for by the
other mechanisms of which you speak. The --ip and --hostname options take care
of the network configuration. I would be interested in what the anti-VOLUMEites
propose for things like persistent data.

On 8/4/17, 11:04 AM, "Linux on 390 Port on behalf of Robert J Brenneman"
<LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU<mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> on behalf of
bren...@gmail.com<mailto:bren...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Yes, and according to 'the community' you should not use VOLUME for things
like passing a hostname, ip address, or any other configuration option
which can conceivably be passed via a variable or by a configuration
service.

There is actually a part of the community that feels like VOLUME is an ugly
hack that despoils the purity of the concept of a container, and it must be
removed at some point in the future. I don't know how large that group is,
but they absolutely exist.

For my systems I'm only using VOLUME for things like the actual data files
for a MongoDB instance, or the persistent queue data for a MQ server.

There is a good argument for putting the secret key for a network service
in a VOLUME and all the public parts in an etcd service along with hostname
and any other public-ish config data, but VOLUME should probably not be the
first tool in the box for conveying configuration data to a container
unless its not possible to do it by other means securely.