On 08/15/2017 06:27 PM, Mark Post wrote:
> For SLES11, modify /etc/inittab
> # Default HMC/3215/3270 console
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/ttyrun ttyS0 /sbin/mingetty --noclear %t dumb
>
> and replace it with something like this:
> 1:012356:respawn:/bin/bash -i

That should work.
I took it up a notch by wrapping up some proper profiling into a shell
script, which is ...

    http://www.casita.net/pub/nord/sbin/conshell

(And as I review it, I see that it still lacks the PATH fixup I thought
was there. Gotta fix that.)

I always run ...

    cons:12:respawn:/sbin/conshell

It's arguable that having to enter a password at a "login:" prompt would
actually be /less/ secure.

----- snip -----

All the badness you read about in the Googoo searching is because
/unattended *physical* boxes/ with a root shell "just sittin there" is
indeed a bad thing. But you're doing LOGON BY. (Any virtualization would
have some kind of control over console access, some better than others
and z/VM is particularly good.) Be prepared to explain how VM is
protecting the guests when the auditors come knockin.   :-(

Also (and apologies for being pedantic), it's not really a 3270. Linux
thinks it's talking to a 3215 (or in some cases an HMC interface).
You're in "CONMODE 3215" so VM presents ye olde typewriter to the guest.
There /is/ a 3270 driver for Linux, a whole other story. You could even
do 'TERM CONMODE 3270'.

-- R; <><