On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Juanjo Marin wrote
> Iñaki,
>
> >I am looking for a simple OS to use teaching (modifying the kernel) and
> >despite simplicity is very important, I'd like to be possible to load
> >pre-compiled programs and to have a file system in hard disk.
>
> I think that Minix may be a better option for teaching because there are
> books (well, 2 editions of one book) written for this purpose. The book is
> titled "Operating Systems: Design and Implementation". The author of the
> first Edition is A.S. Tanenbaum and the authors of the second one are A.S.
> Tanenbaum and A. S. Woodhull.
>
> The good point is that they have been translated into Spanish (I don't know
> if there is a Basque translation) The translation is called "Sistemas
> Operativos: Diseño e Implementación". Both editions are published by
> Prentice Hall. It's very likely that you can find copies of the 1st edition
> in the library of your CS faculty. The ISBN of the 2nd edition is
> 970-17-0165-8
>
> Anyway, If you are very interested in ELKS, you can find some technical
> papers on the ELKS site. We (at least me!!!) would be very grateful if you
> wrote some essays that help people to learn how ELKS works.
>
> About Linux, there are some documents and books about the kernel. There is
> a translation of David Rusling's "The Linux Kernel" avalaible in any mirror
> of LuCAS (LinUx en CAStellano). And there is a translation of a French (or
> maybe English) book, called "Porgramación Linux 2.0", Editorial Gestión
> 2000, de Rémy Card, Eric Dumas and Franck Mével.
>
> Hope this help you,
>
> Greetings from Sevilla
>
>       Juanjo

I am a beginer with Minix and ELKS, but I prefered ELKS (not MINIX) first
because Minixs' bad development. I actually mean that Minix's developers
don't work so hard on Minix. At the first time, I asced Al about somethin,
and I recived  answers very fast, on Minix distribution I asked some
questions so, and I don't get any answer, yet. That why I prefered ELKS.
And Minix news group doesn't work on my news server:(
At the mean time Minix is interesting too..
That is my prposition how to learn Unixs...