On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Blaz Antonic wrote:

> > Excuse me, but I am a bit confused! I thought  there was some sort of
> > TCP/IP implementation
> > project going on???  Is there a separate site and/or mailing list for this
> > project.  Is there some one who is responsible coordinating for this? I'm sorry
> > about all my clueless questions here, but I
> > i'd really like to know....

> You have right to be confused :-) There is no (public) TCP/IP for ELKS
> project and never was one. There were only few people claiming they
> would do something but have vanished without a trace (or with some
> excuse).

Or both, like myself, for which I apologise.

The excuse was that due to problems at school (A-Level's, not getting
kicked out etc.) I didn't have time to do anything, and this stands for
another 2 months. At the time I wanted to help with networking stuff and
started on some stuff which was never released (didn't get very far, and
so your asumption that little was achived is correct).

> People were enthusiastic about TCP stack but (IMO) noone got
> anywhere near.

Enthusiastic is right. I'm still enthusiastic about it, and I'd love to
help, but both then and now I just don't have the time.

I'm not going to make any promises of TCP/IP stacks and telnet clients,
but I really would like to help, and hopefully, when my exams are over, I
can help play with this stuff.

No1 released their work so others could contribute so
> that makes me think that they haven't achieved anything.

See above...

> I agree with them, ELKS in 2000 makes much less sense than it would in
> 1996 .. and that's the main reason some of them stopped from what i
> know. Development of ELKS was similar to ln function .. it was
> progressing quickly at he beginning but almost completely stopped later.
> That's why i said the other day that ELKS (as a project) is dead. ELKS
> (as source) is still avaliable to public and should remain that way.

Put your hand up if you actually use ELKS.
Put your hand up if you've learnt from ELKS.

I know that I fall into the later of these two catagories, and I'm
guessing that most people do as well. As far as I am concerned ELKS is
just as useful as it was a couple of years ago.

Luke Farrar.