Hi, all,

Sorry for the late response as I'm on the Chinese New Year vacation.

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 22:08 +0800, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 04:10:50PM +0100, Thomas Renninger wrote:
>
> > Why do you want to still export the temperature via ACPI sysfs paths
> > then?
> > Once it is there and userspace progs make use of it, you will have
> > maintain it forever and HAL is getting crazy and must take care
> about:
> >   - How to find the ACPI thermal node
> >   - Find the hwmon node
> >   - Both interfaces provide temeratures
> >   - Parse different output of temperature values (totally crazy)
> >

> Quite. There's still been no indication that anyone cares about fixing
> this interface, and I'm upset that it was merged despite there being
> clear and valid concerns about it. Do we have a commitment that it's
> going to be cleaned up before final? If not, it should be pulled
> before
> userspace starts depending on it. The only hardware where this
> currently
> matters isn't going to be running 2.6.25 anyway.

Here is my understanding of the problem, please correct me if I say
something wrong. :)
It would be great if we can use the hwmon for ACPI thermal model. And
it's also true that there are some gaps exist just as thomas had already
listed.
so let's make the problems clear one by one. Surely it would be great if
we can solve all the problems so that we can use the hwmon.
But if not, please let the new thermal sysfs class go upstream as we
really need this functionality and we don't get any alternatives.

Here is a typical thermal sys I/F for ACPI thermal zone.
/sys/class/thermal:
|thermal_zone1:
        |-----type:                     ACPI thermal zone
        |-----temp:                     37
        |-----mode:                     kernel
        |----trip_point_0_temp:         100
        |-----trip_point_0_type:        critical
        |-----trip_point_1_temp:        80
        |-----trip_point_1_type:        passive
        |-----trip_point_2_temp:        70
        |-----trip_point_2_type:        active0
        |-----trip_point_3_temp:        60
        |-----trip_point_3_type:        active1
        |-----cdev0:
--->/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device0
        |-----cdev0_trip_point:         1       /* used for passive */
        |-----cdev1:            --->/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device1
        |-----cdev1_trip_point:         1       /* used for passive */
        |-----cdev2:            --->/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device2
        |-----cdev2_trip_point:         2       /* used for active0 */
        |-----cdev3:            --->/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device3
        |-----cdev3_trip_point:         2       /* used for active0 */
        |-----cdev4:            --->/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device3
        |-----cdev4_trip_point:         3       /* used for active1*/
        |-----type:                     ACPI thermal zone
        |-----temp:                     43
        |-----mode:                     kernel
        |-----trip_point_0_temp:        105
        |-----trip_point_0_type:        critical
        |-----trip_point_1_temp:        65
        |-----trip_point_1_type:        passive

        |-----type:                     Processor
        |-----max_state:                8
        |-----cur_state:                0
        |-----type:                     Processor
        |-----max_state:                8
        |-----cur_state:                0
        |-----type:                     Fan
        |-----max_state:                1
        |-----cur_state:                0
|cooling_device3:
        |-----type:                     Fan
        |-----max_state:                1
        |-----cur_state:                0

The first problem is how to use hwmon for all cooling device.
We need a uniform I/F for both fan and passive cooling devices.

pwm[1-*]_enable, and pwm[1-*] and fan[1-*]_input can be used for fan
control.
The same I/F can work for acpi fan, even for all cooling devices, e.g
pwm[1-*]_enable to enable/disable cooling device control via acpi
thermal driver, pwm[1-*] to control the device cooling state, where 0
stands for no cooling and 255 stands for maximum cooling state.
But it seems really ugly and it's a misuse of pwm[1-*] attribute, right?

So we should either introduce new hwmon ABIs for cooling device control,
just like what we've already done in the thermal sys class,
or give up the idea of making them hwmon compatible.

If we have generic hwmon ABIs for all cooling devices, let's go further.
Hwmon also has the ABIs to support multiple trip points for fan device,
i.e. pwm[1-*]_auto_point[1-*]_pwm and pwm[1-*]_auto_point[1-*]_temp.
But in order to make this available for all cooling devices, we still
need to introduce new ABIs, maybe something like
dev[1-*]_auto_point[1-*]_temp.

And we also needs to introduce the folder structure to store the list of
devices associated with a thermal sensor.

Then the new thermal sys I/F should look like:
/sys/class/hwmon:
|hwmon0/device:         --->/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0
|hwmon1/device:         --->/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1

/sys/class/thermal:
        |-----name:                     ACPI thermal zone
        |-----temp1_input:              37000
        |-----temp1_crit:               100000
        |-----dev1_enable:              2
        |-----dev1_control:     --->/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device0
        |-----dev1_auto_point1_temp:    80000
        |-----dev2_enable:              2
        |-----dev2_control:     --->/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device1
        |-----dev2_auto_point1_temp:    80000
        |-----dev3_enable:              2
        |-----dev3_control:     --->/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device2
        |-----dev3_auto_point1_temp:    70000
        |-----dev4_enable:              2
        |-----dev4__control:    --->/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device3
        |-----dev4_auto_point1_temp:    60000

        |-----name:                     ACPI thermal zone
        |-----temp1_input:              43000
        |-----temp1_crit:               105000
        |-----dev1_enable:              2
        |-----dev1__control:    --->/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device1
        |-----dev1_auto_point1_temp:    85000

|cooling_device0: no change
|cooling_device1: ...
|cooling_device2: ...
|cooling_device3: ...
(PS: I don't like the idea of mapping the cur_state to an Integer value
in the range 0 to 255 like PWM[1-*], cur_state/max_state will be much
easier for user space to use, what do you think?)

So this is the prototype proposal. IMO, the hwmon doesn't have any
framework for us to use, we will end up first doing framework and then
making use of it which is not worth doing. :(
If you think something is wrong/improper, or you get some better ideas,
please just speak it out. Any comments are appreciated. ;)

thanks,
rui

-