On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Tudor Ambarus
<tudor.amba...@microchip.com> wrote:
> Hi, Herbert,
>
> On 02/02/2017 03:57 PM, Herbert Xu wrote:
>>
>> Yes but RSA had an in-kernel user in the form of module signature
>> verification.  We don't add algorithms to the kernel without
>> actual users.  So this patch-set needs to come with an actual
>> in-kernel user of ECDSA.
>

> ECDSA can be used by the kernel module signing facility too. Is there
> any interest in using ECDSA by the kernel module signing facility?

I'd say keep it simple wherever possible; adding an algorithm should
need "is required by" not just "can be used by".

Even then, there is room for questions. In particular, whether such a
fragile algorithm should be trusted at all, let alone for signatures
on infrastructure modules that the whole OS will trust.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_Curve_Digital_Signature_Algorithm#Security