On 11/03/2007 03:37 PM, Nicolas Will wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Now that my DVB-T setup is mostly clean and stable, it is probably time
> to introduce some new stuff ;o)
>
> I really have 3 questions.
>
> In DVB-S in general, can I have one receiving card and 2 LNBs with a
> DiSEqC switch (2 dishes on 2 different satellites)?
>
> Is the BBC Freesat in UK in DVB-S or in DVB-S2, especially regarding
> eventual HD content?
>
> I think the PCI DVB-S cards are mostly well supported. It appears that
> DVB-S2 is still up in the aire regarding Linux support. Any special
> recommendations for PCI hardware?
>
> Thanks for your help and pointers.
>
> Nico

BBC/ITV Freesat is DVB-S. BBC HD is also still available in DVB-S, but
it's possible BBC HD will move to a DVB-S2 transponder in the future.
It's hard to say if (or more likely: when) that will happen. BBC HD is
h.264.

Channel 4 and Five are still encrypted in Videoguard. Channel 4 will
most likely go FTA soon, the future of Five is unclear. I think it's
best to pick up those channels from DVB-T for now.

"In DVB-S in general, can I have one receiving card and 2 LNBs with a
DiSEqC switch (2 dishes on 2 different satellites)?"
Yes.

For recommendations: I would prefer the Technotrend S-1500. The board
design is a bit better compared to the KNC1, the CI cable can be
replaced when broken (standard SCSI cable where KNC1 uses something I've
never seen before) and it has a remote control. If you're going to use a
CAM, stay away from Twinhan. If you just want some FTA-card, I'm not
sure which one would be best. You could obviously save some money by not
taking a CI if you're not planning on using a CAM anyway.

For DVB-S2, Technotrend S2-3200 seems the safest choice, but AFAIK it
doesn't run as smooth on Linux as, say, the S-1500.

P.