Hi,
I have the following scenario.
I'm using a Skystar 2 DVB-S card on Debian.
I want to record one station endlessly/forever. I need a script that
records all of time, AND splits files based on EPG (just don't want to
have one huge file). I hope you understand what I mean. I want files
like:
channel1_11-07-07_0-00_title-of-show1
channel1_11-07-07_2-00_title-of-show2
if there is a show from 0:00 to 2:00 and from 2:00 on.

can you tell me how to do this best? i just want the files. no vdr
etc. it's just a headless server in a dark corner that should make an
archive of my favorite station.
because of the large file sizes it would also be advisable to recode
movies. i'm thinking about making width and height half of the
original (then i also dont have to care about deinterlacing). can this
be done without much processing with mpeg-data? or do i have to
re-encode to xvid or h264? how can this be done on the fly? record and
transcode with ffmpeg? something else?

i would be great if somebody of you could help me!
cheers!
ernesto