Hi,

I run a host/target development environment. On a Debian host, I patch the
Linux kernel 3.2.60 with the RT patch and compile it. Afterwards, I move
config, System.map, initrd and vmlinuz files to a Debian target.

Now, I would like to compile a kernel module on the target, but the header
files are missing.

Linux' Makefile contains the target "headers_install" but this only installs
the headers for user space programs under "/usr/include/linux". I need the
files referenced by "/lib/modules/<version>/build". Some of the referenced
files are also created during Linux' "make" process, e.g. .config, include and
Makefile. For pre-compiled kernels in Debian, the headers are combined to a
package called "linux-headers-<version>". See here
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/amd64/linux-headers-3.2.0-4-amd64/filelist.

Is there a distribution-independent way to create or package these files?

Thank you very much.

--
Benedikt Kleinmeier
Fraunhofer-Institut für Eingebettete Systeme und Kommunikationstechnik ESK

Hansastraße 32 | 80686 München
Telefon, Fax: +49 89 547088-0 | +49 89 547088-220
E-Mail: benedikt.kleinme...@esk.fraunhofer.de
Internet:
http://www.esk.fraunhofer.de
http://www.twitter.com/FraunhoferESK