Hello,

 I tried to convince somebody I know to move to Linux at home and
        at work. I am myself an advocate user of Linux at work and at home.

        He works with a XP at work (a hightech company; however , he is
        not a programmer) ,and also XP at home.

When listing the main advantages of Linux , the most important one
I had thought of was security ; when you access the internet from a Linux
machine, chances that you get a virus or spyware or someone will intrude
your machine are smaller ; He answered that , when thinking in the long
term (2-3 years) , as more people will use linux as a desktop,
this can be easiy changed; moreover, he claimed that since Linux is an open source,
maybe it is even easier to develop viruses/spyware to it. In this point
I did not know what to answer him. I am not a
security expert; it could be that he is right in this point.

Other Linux benefits that I thought of is that since Linux is open source,
all applications he will probably need are handy for download; in winodws
you cannot download office ....

He argued that migrating to Linux will takes time because you need to learn
many new things; The security solution of XP (the XP firewall) and
the free antispyware sw are enough for him; And he isn't convinced
that it is worth to inverst time in migating to Linux.

Are there other Linux benefits which I can pose for moving to Linux ?
(except the idea of moving to open and free source).

Dan Kaspi