I'm answering my own post, but since I found the problem, I thought it might
help others who might come accross the same situation.

On Monday 30 January 2006 15:00, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> I'm having what seem to be "random" X crashes. After each crash, I get an
> e-mail similar to the following (my 2 questions appear after the included

<snip>

> Here are my questions:
>
> 1 - Who or what is killing X and why is 3.51% a high enough load to decide
> to kill X? BTW - thie pecentage varies and is sometimes very high, but
> usually not.

When installing MDV2006, I chose "tons" of packages. It seems that one of them
was something called "loadcontroller" and aside from the fact that this is
BETA software, it seems to work with very wierd logic. It periodically checks
CPU usage and if you're over a certain level (the default is 5%), it kills
the "heaviest" CPU user - even if that application is not really using very
much CPU. So, if, for example, you have 9 processes using 0.5% each, and X is
using 0.6%, total use is over the limit (5.1%) and X gets killed (even though
it uses only 0.6% CPU). Seems crazy to me.

Needless to say, killing X also causes many other processes to die
unexpectedly and I've been going crazy for the past few days. I hope that by
disabling the "service" I've solved the problem.

> 2 - I don't know why these e-mails are being sent to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead of [EMAIL PROTECTED] and get

This address is "hard-coded" in the loadcontroller configuration file.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net